The Big Canadian Adventure
As I write this I am laying on the floor in the middle of the empty living room, all our large items like the sofa having been put into long term storage.
This is because I'm moving to Toronto, Canada. It's been a tonne of work getting to this point where we have less than 3 days before leaving.
The first mammoth task has been shrinking a 4 bedroom house into 8 suitcases and a storage box in middle Norfolk. The last week has been a total blur of packing and a rediscovery of tucked away memories.
The thing I am most looking forward to about Toronto apart from living closer to the office is the opportunities. There are so many meetups, courses and different types of food in a larger city compared to Norwich. Don't get me wrong I love Norwich, it'll always be my home and getting back will feel great whenever that day comes.
I've travelled a fair amount in my life and been to Toronto several times but I still expect a fair amount of culture shock. Here are my main concerns (again this might not be interesting unless you are moving countries but this is cathartic);
- No squash this is stupid to be number one but honestly all day every day I drink blackberry cordial you mix it with water.
[Turns out they have "Water Enhancer" same thing.]
- Being an immigrant, with shit having hit the fan in England being an immigrant in someone else's country scares me a little.
- Social life In England we have friends and family, I have some friends from work in Canada but our social circle is getting a lot smaller and as a fairly social person this worries me.
- Banking In Canada you have to pay to bank. Seriously they keep your money, mess with it and you give them your money the pleasure. In England they fight for you to store cash with them.
- Phones, they are expensive. I'm used to all the data all the time in Toronto that would cost me 4x what I pay at the moment.
Now I've arrived I can write about the awesomeness
- Food is amazing here. In my various trips I have experienced an explosion of different culture influences in really good food.
- Weather is a positive right now. It's a beautiful 27c most of the time. Nice to have a proper summer, I've worn shorts everyday I've been here.
- Gym and Yoga Just finished a session of hot yoga today and yesterday morning I went to the gym, getting fitter in this city is hopefully going to be easier.
- Shows and Movies An awesome cinema is right round the corner and I already have a tonne of orchestra nights planned.
There is a whole world of awesome in Toronto and I'm really enjoying exploring the city.